December 11, 2008

Valparaíso

I thought maybe I should tell you more about the place I live. The name is Valparaíso. You all can google, right, so I won't go on telling about stuff you can read from wikipedia. Instead I will tell you something else.

Sounds of Valparaíso.
The stuff that always reminds me where I am eventho in my mind I might be six million kms from here.

1. barking dogs
There are thousands (?) of street dogs in Valpo. The dogs have a prominent role here. They own the city. If a dog wants to lie down in the middle of a sidewalk during rush hour, it will do so and the people just have figure out how to keep on walking. The dogs are nice to people. Or maybe more like neutral, they don't bother you if you don't bother them. Fair deal. They only bark at each other and sometimes cars. You can always hear a few of them bark somewhere. Especially at nights, when the city gets quieter, there's less traffic, less people but the dogs never stop. I like them. But I don't touch them. Fleas I don't like.

2. reggaeton
What can I say? It's everywhere. Boom chiki boom chiki boom chiki boom 'til infinity. Like my friend Kenan said: How can something so horrible come out of something so beautiful as reggae? Good question Kenan.

3. gas trucks
If you wanna buy gas just be alert when you hear a strong rhythmical kling-klong sound. That's the gas truck. One of the guys sits in the back of the truck and uses one of the gas bottles as a drum. They are not too bad. It's nice cause you only hear it for a minute or two maybe a couple times a day. But it must be a bitch to work in the truck.

4. car alarms
Don't know what the deal is with them here but it's an everyday thing to hear them. And it's always the annoying one with 4 different tones. Like in this weird video, at around 0.56.

6 comments:

Turkish Delight said...

The part about the dog reminded me of that video that was taken on the Chilean highway.. did you see it? The one where one dog helps an injured dog to get off the highway.. I was crying so much.. and sadly the dog died. :(

Rocadura said...

Oh yeah..I remember. Hehe.

Koko Hubara said...

Kenan is awesome! More facts about your new hometown, pls!!!

Rocadura said...

Coming!

Anonymous said...

ihanaa lukea näitä. kuten koko sanoi, lisää!! ainut huono puoli sun blogissa on että se aiheuttaa mulle suurta ikävää sinua kultaista kohtaan. mut silti lisää, kyllä mä kestän ikäväni, kunhan sulla on siellä hyvä olla.
love you.
Kaisa

Anonymous said...

Nice read.

And Koko is scoring points! =)

About Me